A cake (or in this case, cakes)
This is my go-to cake recipe, with memories of my childhood - 'Usbourne's book of 30 Christmas Bakes'. Luckily, the recipes are easy, simple and transferable throughout the year. I've made a few tweaks, mainly to the icing, but they're still delicious.
100g Self Raising Flour
100g Softened Butter
100g Caster Sugar
For the Icing:
225g Icing sugar
115g Softened Butter
1tsp Vanilla extract
A few drops of Milk, to slacken
Chocolate sprinkles to decorate.
1) Sift flour into a bowl, and stir in the caster sugar, eggs and butter with a wooden spoon.
2) Fill cake cases evenly - I usually get about 12 cakes from the mixture.
3) Bake for 20 minutes at 190 degrees Celsius, gas mark 5.
4) Combine the icing sugar and butter until smooth. Add a few drops of milk to loosen if necessary. 5) Stir in the vanilla Extract.
6) Once taken out of the oven, allow the cakes to cool. Then, use your preferred method for icing (I find a sandwich bag with a corner snipped off does quite well)
7) Decorate as you wish - I used chocolate sprinkles here.
I love this recipe, it's so easy. ideal for when you have little time, or are feeling a little bit under the weather.