Wednesday 1 February 2012

Printing

In our Art Induction, we experimented with 3 types of printing:
Monoprinting
Polystyrene Printing
Cardboard Printing.

This is what I came out with.


















I had to start off by drawing a still life in tonal colours. I, being vaguely musical, decided to draw my cello. It's called Marvin. I then had to do several print experiments inspired by this still life.

The first one that I did was the Polystyrene Printing. Here, we had a sheet of polystyrene and etched into it, etching away sections with different layers. It is the school version of Lino cut printing, as it is cheaper, and more school-friendly, as it can be etched using a Biro or a sharp pencil, instead of requiring a lino cutter.

This is the double page spread that I produces, including the printer, my plans, and several examples of the prints I produced. It is always best to produce more prints than is necessary, just in case one goes wrong

I quite like this method. It's a bit messy, but then all printing is. It's more precise than any of the other methods.

I then did a page on Cardboard Printing. This is where you have a sheet of box card board, and, using a Stanley knife, you peel off the top layer to reveal the corrugated area beneath.

This type of printing leaves a printer that is nearly disintegrating by the time you are finished with it, but I do like the textured look achieved with it.

For these prints, I switched my inspiration from the cello directly, to the sheet music, and more specifically, the bass clef in which a cello plays.

This theme of inspiration continued through into my Monoprinting page.

I think out of all of the printing method, this is my least favourite due to its inaccuracies.

Monoprinting, is where you ink up a board, lay a piece of paper n top, and draw on the paper. this can lead to a variety of unpredictable results, and that lack of control is what bugs me. A lot.

So those are the printing experiments that we did... not too exciting for most, but to Marvin and his depressing music, it was the highlight of his year.

No comments:

Post a Comment