Saturday 26 January 2013

Similarities and Differences: The Library

Another one of the places I used for my studies was the Library where I volunteer. The building dates from the early 1900s, as one of the first Carnegie Libraries. I found it to be a fascinating study, and extrapolated it into both stylised, modernistic studies, and my own traditional ways of working.
 
 
 One of the original studies I did was the painting above. I initially did it in flat colour and detested every inch of it. So, to rectify, I added stylised cross-hatching and lines This brought out the colour and definition of the brickwork and the window, the latter of which I had already begun to become fascinated by.
Below are a few of the prints I did as an experiment, which I also added stylised lines to.
 
 
 

I then did a highly intricate pencil drawing, which took me hours and hours to complete. Yes, those are tiny little circles filling all of the brickwork. Then, taking that as a base, I photocopied it and reproduced it in several different media.
 
 
My favourite, watercolour
 
 
Oil pastel.
 
 
Oil pastel in the style of Monet.
 
 
And Chalk Pastel.
Exploring all of these with one picture shows experimentation again, and with photocopies,it makes it much easier to do so.
 
 
My final test was a bit of monoprinting the design of the library. I am not entirely pleased with it, but it was the best one I could find. In actual fact, this was the negative print I got after doing one of the monoprints, and in actual fact,it is more effective than the actual prints were.


No comments:

Post a Comment