Monday 19 August 2013

My Favourite 10: Books (15)

Now. I have a slight obsession with books. They are good. Very good.  I'm also going to count this as 'A selection of book reviews', one of the points on my 50. So, in no particular order, Here are my top ten series

Harry Potter JK Rowling
As if I needed to state the obvious. I am head over heels in love with these books and would read them over and over and over again. Lovable characters, the writing is gorgeous and a world that you can truly believe and endorse your soul and heart in, if you haven't read these, how can you understand this blog? I am a Ravenclaw, after all!


Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit JRR Tolkein
Another great classic. Some of the sentences needed reading a couple of times to focus, but it has adventure in epic proportions, loyalty, romance (I'm in love with Faramir), doom and destruction but light-heartedness too. Middle Earth is well built, and it feels like reading a history at some times (which, as a budding historian, is a high compliment)!


Hunger Games Suzanne Collins
One of those series where you just.can't.put.it.down! There are plot twists and evilness and fluffy bits too, and the writing really grabs you. It makes the reader connect with the characters. I will admit that I despise everything from page 100 onwards in Mockingjay, and I felt that the author was killing nice people off for the sake of it, but the previous two books were so horrifying and believable, it still makes my top ten.


Percy Jackson Rick Riordan
I love this writing style. If there is anyway, or any book that I would advise to learn sarcastic writing style, it is this series. I love the ancient Greek influences, the confusion of those teenage years, and the characters, again, are all so lovable. I like how the author advocates being clever, with Annabeth, and with all of the historical references, it keeps me interested.


I am Number Four Pittacus Lore
I could do without the swearing. Just saying. But, otherwise, the plot was good, the idea an interesting one and I love Six. I felt that Sarah was a bit too perfect and just wanted to punch her, but I loved the idea of what Lorien stood for and that is what keeps me interested, despite Four's arrogance.


Eragon Christopher Paolini
Murtagh. His character just kept me clinging to this series. I love him, he's so complicated and broken, he just needs exploring. The writing was very much older than it was, but the imagery was beautiful. Again, Arya was a bit too perfect, but she's an elf so that's to be expected. I felt the ending of Inheritance was a bit of an anti-climax, but I'm glad that it's been left open for a possible spin-off book/series.


Triskellion  Will Peterson
Slightly Sci-fi but I love the hints of history within it, although it does scare me that one of the characters is called Rachel. The first book was good, but the subsequent two were thrilling, and made me cry. Also, unlike some series, the ending left me satisfied.


Dragonskin slippers Jessica Day George
I like this one for its sewing, its dragons, and oddly, its love story. Creel is not the typical person you would expect to fall for a Prince, and while it is simplistic in its nature, the whole series was interesting and made me smile. And it had sewing in it, so I would recommend for crafting fans of children's literature.


The Perks of Being a Wallflower Stephen Chbosky
I fell in love with this book very quickly as I read it at a difficult time in my life and felt that I could connect with the troubled characters. I will say though that I took a different route to sorting out my problems than they did! But the structure of the writing and its simplicity makes it beautiful and heart-wrenching all at the same time, and the ending left tears falling down my face. The character remains broken, less so, but you finally realise why.


Runemarks Joanne Harris
I was beginning to feel that the mythology 'thing' had been overdone, but then I met these two books, based in Norse mythology and fell for it. They took me time to read over my exams, but it was worth it. The plot was complex and the Characters were so colourful and ever-changing that it kept me so interested and focused on the stories. I do think, however, that Loki and Maddy's relationship was left too unexplored.


They're all so gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment